Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter: The Ending of an Era

Yes.  I am a Harry Potter fan.  A huge fan in fact.  Not to the point of dressing up and going to the midnight showing, but still a big fan.

I was only seven when the first book came out.  Too young probably to read it.  That didn't really matter though because the book didn't even cross my radar at that point.  I think I became aware of the books sometime during the third grade ('97-'98) but still wasn't interested.  Then in the fourth grade my teacher read the books out loud to us.  I became hooked.  I got my whole family hooked.  Only the first 2 books were out at that point.

The books had become so popular that we read them every year in school for a couple of years.  I think the first book we pre ordered so we had it right away was "The Goblet of Fire."  As the books came out the Harry, Ron and Hermione were a couple of years older than me.

In the movies though the characters started out at the same age I was.  So in the sense of the movies I grew up right along with the characters.  Obviously I'm not 17 now like the characters are but as long as there has been another movie to wait on I have clung to a part of my childhood.  Now that this last movie is out and I'm sure that after I watch it tomorrow that last little part of my childhood is over.

I'm a little sad that it is all over.  When the last book came out I wasn't nearly as sad because I still had the movies to look forward too.  The only think to look forward to know is Potter More.  The new site JK Rowling has created to give us more insight into the wizarding world.  As far as I can tell there won't be any knew stories with the next generation of Potter's/Weasley's/Granger's.  So this new chapter coming up doesn't feel the same as waiting for a new book or movie.

My point is that it is hitting me that the Harry Potter era is coming to an end and with it the last little piece of my childhood is going away.

No comments:

Post a Comment