Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cancer Followup

I wrote this post about a month and a half ago.  I didn't go into very much detail because I didn't know very much.  Over the long Thanksgiving weekend I had a chance to see him.  He filled us all in a little more on how everything went down.

He found the lump in July or August.  He went to the doctor right away but it took them a month or two (depending on which month he found it) to get him in for a biopsy.  It took a while to get the biopsy results back also (I am not sure on the timing of everything.)  The results said cancer.  I'm not sure of the type of cancer but it is one that spreads fast.  In the time from when he found the lump in his testicle to the time the doctors got everything figured out the cancer had spread to his lungs.  It moved that quickly.  He has one round of chemo left.

At the time that he found the lump he was stationed elsewhere.  He just got reassigned to Offutt AFB a couple of weeks ago so we were lucky to all get to see him again.  He is in as good of spirits as he seemed.  He knows that it is a good thing he went in as soon as he found the lump and that he probably will get some kind of cancer again when he is older.  He is pretty much the same kid I graduated with just more muscular and less hairy (that's what the Air Force and then chemo will do for ya.)  Still one of the funniest people I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment